URGENT – U.P. Breaking News Bulletin – 3-27-18 – UPDATE 7:35 p.m. ET
Firefighters have knocked down that fire at Kimar’s Resort with apparently minor damage.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 7:35 p.m. ET – spending roughly an hour at the chimney fire.
7:05 p.m. ET
Tuesday night chimney fire at Au Train, MI resort feared spreading into walls
By Greg Peterson
U.P. Breaking News
Owner, News Director
(Au Train, MI) – At least two fire departments have been called to fight fire at a well-known resort in Alger County, MI.
A chimney fire is said to be spreading into the walls at Kimar’s Resort & Charter Fishing located at 3216 East M-28 in Au Train, MI.
There are numerous outbuildings and cabins at the resort – although it was thought to be in the resort’s main building.
The Alger County fire was reported about 6:25 p.m. ET tonight Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at the resort located along Lake Superior’s Shelter Bay.
Voting records associate three names with the resort: Christine Kimar, David Kimar and Joseph McKay.
Responding to the fire are the Onota Township Volunteer Fire Department and the Au Train Township Volunteer Fire Department.
The fire is “possibly breaching the chimney at this time,” the Alger County 911 dispatcher radioed to responding firefighters.
The chimney fire may have “spread into the walls,” the dispatcher said.
No injuries have been reported.